Transitioning to a modest wardrobe is not the easiest thing. I struggled a bit. Once the Holy Spirit convicted me about my dress code, I knew changes had to be made. I got rid of some of the immodest items I owned, I head back to some of what I thought I could adjust or ‘modestify’.
Making this change also meant not being able to shop in certain stores and that’s okay. However, it also meant having certain handy items that could easily switch an immodest look to a modest one. This was a big deal for me as most of my clothes in time past had to reveal my cleavage.
1. Basic Vests: this is highly essential. I mostly use these to make v-necked outfits modest. The vests cover up the cleavage and still provide a trendy look. You could get them in several colours or you could start with black and white.
2. Kimono: I love kimonos!!!!! The switch up immodest to modest in a very elegant way. I got a lot of sleeveless and tube gowns when I was pregnant, kimonos helped me achieve modesty. Kimonos are timeless and I’d recommend them anyway.
3. A good seamstress: this is necessary especially if you are Nigerian. An awesome seamstress could add length to even ready to wear clothes as well as sleeves to a super short sleeved attire. If you shop online often, you need a good seamstress, sometimes you have no idea the length of an item until it arrives.
4. Midi – Maxi Skirts/dresses: nothing screams modest more than midi and maxi skirts. It took me a while to realize that I could be stylish and trendy with midi and maxi skirts. They have become an absolute fave for me. The key is to choose wisely. Don’t just buy a skirt because it is long or not short. Think of how you can style it and think of what other pieces in your wardrobe would complement it. pleated midi skirts are awesome, slip skirts are also pretty versatile.
5. Basic black skirt: this could be denim if you want but I’d suggest you have two. One in denim. We often hear people talk about the little black dress, I think for modest people, the basic black skirt is the staple we need. Super versatile, easy to find and you can never get enough. It could be casual, it could be official. Once you have your black skirts, you could add other colours to your collection.
Share your suggestions with me, what do you think are the must-haves for a modest wardrobe?