Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning – James 1 :17
As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God – 1 Peter 4:10
Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before unknown men Proverbs 22:29
I meet a lot of parents on a day to day basis, many thanks to being a school administrator. One thing parents I meet have in common is, they recognize the unique skills their children possess, they know what their children love to do and they know the activities that keep their children happy.
As our kids grow up, there is a lot to take in. We know what they love and we know what they hate and as believers, we do the very best we can to mould them in God’s ways. We teach them right from wrong and sometimes we even go the extra mile to invest in their talents. I remember enrolling my sons for piano lessons right from when they were 5 and 4 years old respectively, I was amazed at how fast they learnt and in no time they could even play the national anthem.
Soon after, God laid it in my heart to pray for my children’s hobbies, talents and skills. we spend money to develop their talents and skills, we spend money to foster their hobbies yet we somehow leave God out of the equation. The truth is, whatever we do not commit to God will not prosper (and when I say ‘prosper’ I don’t necessarily mean finances because prosperity goes way beyond that).
If you have not discovered something your child loves to do or what gifting he/she has, you could pray for God to help you discover those specific talents and hobbies. Understand that talents could be something as simple as reading, writing and even the ability to keep people calm.
Also teach your children about the parable of the talents found in Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 19:11-27, it is a good way to explain to them how their talents, skills and hobbies are important to God and why God wants them to use their talents in a way that will glorify God.
Here is a guide to praying for your children’s talents, skills and hobbies:
- Thanking God: Thank God for depositing that talent, skill and hobby in your child. Thank Him for the privilege to parent a child who is interested in singing, dancing, teaching, reading, talking etc.
- Prayer of Stewardship: Pray that they can be good stewards of the talents, hobbies and skills that God has given them. Also pray that you will be able to guide them and teach them to use their talent, skills and hobbies in a manner that pleases God and aligns with God’s will.
- Prayer of fruitfulness: Pray that their talents and hobbies will produce fruits. Think of what fruits could be produced by their talents. Ultimately, all talents should be used in a way that will point others to Christ. Their gifts and talents will also make a way for them, they will excel and the works of their hands will flourish.
- Prayer of steadfastness: Pray that their talents will not cause them to derail from the faith. Let them stand firm in Christ and may they never deny the faith.
- Prayer of pruning: Pray that any skill or talent that will not glorify God or that will make your children rebel against God should be cut off.
I always encourage parents to pray continually, keep praying about their skills and talents even as they grow and discover new skills and talents.
Ask any questions relating to this in the comments, also if you have tried this, let us know. God bless you!