Honestly, I am not one to make resolutions though my husband and I for the first time set family goals for 2018. By the grace of God, we achieved the goals we set even though most of them happened in ways we did not expect and a few plans had to be changed- that is God for you. Anyway, this year I set out to make resolutions, not just resolutions but Christ centred resolutions because most times we get so caught up in/with ourselves that we think life is really all about us.
Here are the goals I set for this year:
- More of the word: I want to dwell more on the word of God this year and beyond. This is so important because it is not possible to draw nearer to God if ample time is not spent on the word. This would include teaching my children more of the word of God.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. Colossians 3:16
- Living by Faith: I guess I have come to realise that people who live by faith have less headaches and they constantly glow because they solely depend on God.
(For we walk by faith, not by sight:). 1 Corinthians 5:7. (P.S this verse makes a fantastic memory verse for kids aged 2-5, I taught it to my boys last year with hand gestures of course).
- Pray More: Praying more according to God’s will is what I would love to learn to do, Honestly, I am not there yet. The Bible shows that Jesus prayed according to God’s will, we should follow the example Jesus set for us.
He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done. Matthew 26:42.
- Love More: As far this goes, I will ask God to open my eyes to what Godly love entails and show me how I can show love to people in need. One thing I have come to realise is that sometimes what we think is love may not really be love. So I will be throwing out the worldly definition of love and focus on Godly love.
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. John 15:12.
- Service in Church: I actually serve in various capacities in church, I must admit though, I slacked a bit last year. The key is not to view church work and service as burdensome or unimportant.
Serve the Lord with gladness:
come before his presence with singing. Psalm 100:2
I have no included family goals, because as I said earlier, my husband and I do that together. These are personal goals which I know would further point me to Christ. I set business goals as well. By God’s grace, I would post them next week.
Cheers and Happy New Year!!!